However, ADHD is a very misunderstood diagnosis and there are many myths about it that parents should be aware of.
Learning about the myths is also a great way to start educating yourself about the disorder so that you can learn how to help your child.
This section provides myths and facts about ADHD.
- ADHD Awareness Month Myth #1: ADHD is an excuse for poor parenting or “bad behavior” (Podcast)
- ADHD Awareness Month Myth #2: All Children with ADHD have Behavior Problems (Podcast)
- ADHD Awareness Month Myth #3: People with ADHD are Lazy (Podcast)
- ADHD Awareness Month Myth #4: ADHD Medications Increase the Risk of Drug Abuse (Podcast)
- ADHD Awareness Month Myth #5: Children Will Outgrow their ADHD (Podcast)
- Dispelling Myths About ADHD. CanLearn. (PDF)
- ADHD and Myths Tip Sheet-2016. CanLearn. (PDF)
- Myths and Misunderstandings. C.H.A.D.D. (Website)
- 8 Common Myths About ADHD. Understood. (Website)