Our Share the Magic Coordinator, Gwen Schaefer, has new videos about supporting early literacy skills for children. Enjoy and share!
Share the Magic
Childcare centres wishing to build their capacity to support early literacy skills of children in their care are invited to participate in the program.
- Childcare centres can provide powerful learning opportunities essential for young children’s literacy learning
- Many children have few or no books to call their own in their home
- A trained volunteer early literacy facilitator visits a childcare centre five times and facilitates a story time with children
- Since children learn best through building on something they already know, the same book is used in different ways throughout the program (e.g. with puppets, flannel board characters, acting the story out)
- At the end of the program, each child receives the featured story to take home, keep and share with their family
- Practical strategies, as well as resources for the classroom, are shared with childcare providers
- Children increase their interest in books and motivation for reading
- Children remember their stories – this is the first and essential step in children’s journey to “real” reading
- Over 500 books are distributed to children each year
- This goes beyond just storytelling to children; it helps to enhance the knowledge and skills of the childcare providers
We accept cash donations to buy high-quality books at a discounted price for our program.