CanLearn is excited to announce that we will be providing a new adult literacy program starting in September 2020.
We are thankful to Calgary Learns for funding the program.
The Community Access to Literacy Learning (CALL) Program is for adults who want to improve their basic reading and writing skills.
The program is the right fit for adults who:
- Struggle with tasks that require reading and writing in their day-to-day life
- Plan to pursue your GED or high school upgrading
- Want to develop their literacy skills to seek employment or better work opportunities
Upon successful completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate independent and fluent reading using a variety of strategies
- Read critically, express and support opinions, summarize and analyze texts using a variety of methods
- Follow the writing process to compose and edit paragraphs and essays
- Identify and apply common sentence elements such as spelling, punctuation, grammar, and vocabulary
- Apply strategies and skills for learning in everyday life or academic setting
Attendance and Participation
Active participation is a vital component of this course. Participants are strongly encouraged to attend all classes to achieve positive learning outcomes.
Classes will combine explicit instruction in reading and writing, discussion, group work, and individual reading and writing activities.
There are no tests, midterms, or final exams in this course.
Attendance and Participation – 20%
Reading Assignments – 40%
Writing Assignments – 40%
For a total of 100%
Learning supports are available for learners with diagnosed learning disabilities and ADHD to participate in this course fully. Unfortunately, the course is not equipped to accommodate adults with PDD and cognitive disabilities.
Registration starts on August 18, 2020.
If you, or someone you know, is interested in gaining confidence with numeracy and math, please contact us by phone at 403 686-9300 ext. 158 or by email.
The CALL Program will start on Tuesday, September 22, 2020.
The program will run on Tuesdays (9:30 AM – 12:30 PM) and Thursdays (9:30 AM – 12:30 PM) over 30 weeks.