We are hiring for the following position:
ABE (Adult Basic Education) Instructor
Part-Time Position (20 hours a week)
A one-year contract with the potential for extension.
CanLearn is a multidisciplinary organization with a vision of “unlocking potential so all can learn.” The organization was founded in 1979 by professionals and parents who were puzzled by the question of why apparently bright individuals were underachieving in school. The answer to this question has proven to be complex, involving both neurological bases (e.g. Learning Disabilities, ADHD), and environmental factors such as poverty, lack of learning opportunities, and language barriers. CanLearn helps learners with Learning Disabilities, ADHD, and other literacy challenges, using a two-pillar approach:
- Literacy and foundational learning programs for families, adults, families, and children.
- Psycho-educational assessment services and intervention programs for learners with diagnosed Learning Disabilities and ADHD
- Literacy and adult foundational programs at CanLearn are intentionally designed to reach out to learners who are typically described as “hard to reach” and offer a continuum of services, allowing learners to choose those which best fit their individual needs, responsibilities and life circumstances.
We are looking for a dynamic and experienced professional to join our organization as am ABE (Adult Basic Education), Instructor. Our ideal candidate will bring skills, experience and passion for helping adults develop their basic literacy skills.
EDUCATION: A minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in education or related field with experience in working with adults.
- Strong knowledge of the reading and writing process
- Understanding of effective instructional practices
- Self-directed and able to take initiative
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Proficient computer skills.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide instruction in reading and/or writing, including group instruction and one-on-one tutoring.
- Create learner-centred, participatory lesson plans and use an individualized approach to instruction.
- Create engaging instructional strategies and activities, integrating technology.
- Adapt facilitation style and strategies to maximize learner’s retention and positive learning outcomes.
- Conduct assessments for learning and evaluate learners’ progress.
- Attend a minimum of 20 hours of PD training/workshops.
- Attend team meetings and staff meetings.
- Complete other assignments as directed by the Program Manager.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: August 28, 2020
We appreciate the interest of all applicants however will only contact those invited for an interview.
Please send a cover letter and resume to Nada Jerkovic, Manager of Literacy Programs to firstname.lastname@example.org